Enhanced English Teacher

A blog about using technology in an English classroom

About Me

My name is Tara Seale, and I am a 9th grade English teacher at Bryant High School in Arkansas.  I also serve as a part time Instructional Technology Specialist in my school district.

I blog as a guest author at The Educators’ Royal Treatment blog and the NCTE Secondary Section Blog.

I am  Google Certified Teacher and attended the Google Teacher Academy in Washington DC 2009.

You can also follow me on Twitter:  @tseale

3 Comments

3 Comments so far ↓

• Tammy Gillmore

You are from Arkansas! Just connected all the dots! Great!

Maybe we can work on some collaboration with our students. Hope to get even better organized this summer…may be in touch about this. Okay?

• Tala Oszkay, Publicity Assistant, Dutton Books

Hi

I’ve been reading your blog and I thought you might be interested in checking out a new book Dutton is publishing, HOW TO BUY A LOVE OF READING by debut novelist Tanya Egan Gibson.

Tanya used to be an English teacher herself, always trying to inspire her students with the love of reading. One day a bright student who was never interested in any of the assigned reading told her, “it’s not your fault, Mrs. Gibson. I’ve just never met a book I liked.”

HOW TO BUY A LOVE OF READING tells the story of a fictional teen named Carley who, like the student, never met a book she liked. Carley’s nouveau riche Long Island parents decide to fix the problem by commissioning an author to write a book just for their daughter, one she’ll have to love.

Gibson’s debut is full of witty satire, a story-within-a-story plot, and a touching story of young love. She’s hoping to inspire teens and adults with a love of reading; she’s actually collecting “stories that saved me” in a contest on her website, http://www.howtobuyaloveofreading.com.

Let me know if you’d like a review copy!

Tala Oszkay

Dutton Publicity | Penguin U.S.A.

375 Hudson Street, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10014

Tel: 212.366.2217

• Sara Fewer

Dear Tara Seale,

I’m writing from the Family Violence Prevention Fund, a non-profit organization that works to prevent violence against women and children around the world. In partnership with the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), we have recently released Lessons from Literature, a free online resource that gives English teachers a framework to use the books they’re already teaching to engage students in discussions about healthy and abusive relationships and alternatives to violence.

The Lessons from Literature curriculum was developed by master English teachers across the country. All lesson plans meet National Standards for the English Language Arts and are aligned with recommendations from Partnership for 21st Century Skills and the American School Counselor Association. For more information, please visit http://www.lessonsfromliterature.org.

I’ve enjoyed reading your blog and recognize that you cover some of the most important issues in education today. As you know, teachers are well aware of the challenges facing their teenage students, including intimate and peer abuse, and many are looking for resources to help. We’d like to engage your readers in Lessons from Literature to help teens build healthy, non-violent relationships. If teachers can help shape the way young people think and act now, relationship abuse and violence can be extinguished for the next generation.

Please consider sharing Lessons from Literature on your blog with a link to http://www.lessonsfromliterature.org. We are currently inviting teachers in participate in a contest with a chance to win $100 by submitting an original lesson plan for a book that exemplifies relationship violence or abuse. Teachers can submit their lesson plans up to July 10th at http://www.lessonsfromliterature.org.

Thank you for your time. If you have any questions about Lessons from Literature, please feel free to contact me!

Thank you,
    Sara Fewer
    Program Manager, Lessons from Literature